BVS-ABR Young Scientist Event: Beyond scientific disciplinary boundaries
Organised by BVS-ABR and RICOMET
In the framework of the RICOMET conference, the Belgian Society for Radiation Protection organises a workshop on the topic 'Beyond scientific disciplinary boundaries'. In parallel, similar workshops are organised in other countries.Can we enrich radiation protection research and practice with transdisciplinary approaches and how?The aim of this interactive session is to explore the meaning of transdisciplinarity and its role in shaping the future of radiation protection projects. This session entails live webinars with prominent academics from different disciplines, a range of case studies from the field of radiation protection and face to face workshops organised in Belgium by the Belgian Radiation Protection Society and by the RadoNorm project in Hungary.
More details about the workshop will be announced soon.
The exact location of the physical workshop is
CYCL 02+03 UCLouvain
Chemin du Cyclotron 2
Public transport : Take the train to Louvain-la-Neuve University and then it’s a 15 minute walk to the cyclotron building (directions)
Programme on Wednesday September 8, 2021:10.00 – 11.15 Webinar moderated by Yevgeniya Tomkiv (NMBU)
- What is multi- and transdisciplinarity in research and practice?
- What is the motivation behind transdisciplinarity?
- What are the common challenges and how to overcome them?
The invited speakers will answer these and many other questions from the perspectives of their academicbackground and personal experiences :
• Prof. Roderick John Lawrence, University of Geneva, Switzerland
• Mr. Gaston Meskens, SCK CEN, Belgium
• Prof. Ortwin Renn, University of Stuttgart, Germany, (tbc.)11.30 – 12.30 Case studies of transdisciplinary research, workshop moderated by Yevgeniya Tomkiv (NMBU)
Short presentations of multi- and transdisciplinary projects in radiation protection research and practice(nuclear waste, radon, medical, recovery after nuclear emergency).12.30 – 13.00 Lunch break13.00 – 15.00 • Workshop in Belgium @ UCL, moderated by Bieke Abelshausen and Tom Clarijs (REGISTRATION IS MANDATORY)
• Workshop in Hungary, moderated by Gaston Meskens and Robbe Geysmans
Groups will elaborate on the following questions :
• What is transdisciplinary research/practice for you?
• What are opportunities and pitfalls of multidisciplinary research/practice?
• How to include other disciplines and citizens in your research/practice?
• How to collaborate with your colleagues from different disciplines and benefit from this collaboration?15.15 – 16.00 Reports from the workshops, reflections together with the speakers from the webinar
8-9-2021 8-9-2021 Europe/Brussels BVS-ABR Young Scientist Event: Beyond scientific disciplinary boundaries Beyond scientific disciplinary boundaries: the future of radiation protection research and practice? Webinar & workshop organized by BVS-ABR, RadoNorm, SHARE, ENA TBD Organised by BVS-ABR and RICOMET